Student Engagement Hub
Mabel Park State High School has an incredible Student Engagement Hub (SEH) designed to support students in their learning journey. Our SEH is made up of three 'Pods' of staff to support the 7-8, 9-10, and 11-12 year cohorts.
Each Pod is comprised of a Head of Department, Guidance Officer and Youth Worker.
Our SEH also has a FlexiSpace, which provides the highest quality teaching, learning and support in a bespoke learning environment embedded within the school. The aim of our FlexiSpace is to support the engagement and academic outcomes of students who may be experiencing disengagement.
For more information on Youth Engagement and FlexiSpaces, please visit advancingeducation.qld.gov.au/youth-engagement/supporting-students.
School-based Youth Health Nurse
The School-based Youth Health Service is delivered in partnership with Children's Health Queensland to address the health and wellbeing of students and the school communities in select state secondary schools. Nurse Ella Cuffe is Mabel Park State High School's Youth Health Nurse. She is on site every Tuesday and Thursday as well as every second Wednesday.
Nurse Cuffe provides:
- Individual health consultations with assessment, support, health information and referral options related to:
- Healthy eating and exercise
- Personal and family problems
- Feeling sad, worried and angry
- Sexual health
- Smoking, alcohol and other drugs
- Growth and development
- Promoting health and wellbeing with a "whole school approach" to support the development of healthy school environments.
- Making recommendations on health resources to support curriculum, teaching and learning activities in schools.
School-based Youth Health Nurses do not provide medical treatments, first aid, medications, physical examinations, or ongoing counselling.
Parents or students can self-refer or a referral can be made by a health professional or member of the school staff.